Volunteer in Ukraine :: Chernovtsy

Chernivtsi (Ukrainian: Чернівці́Ukrainian pronunciation: [t͡ʃerniu̯ˈt͡sʲi]; Romanian:CernăuțiRomanian pronunciation: [t͡ʃernəˈut͡sʲ]; Russian: Черновцы́ Chernovtsy;Polish: Czerniowce; German and Yiddish: Czernowitz, טשערנאָוויץ; see also other names) is a city in southwestern Ukraine, situated on the upper course of the River Prut. Chernivtsi is the administrative center of Chernivtsi Oblast (province) - the northern, Ukrainian part of the European historic region of Bukovina. At the time of the2001 Ukrainian Census, the population of the city was 240,600.[3]

Together with the city of Lviv, Chernivtsi is viewed at present to be a cultural center of western Ukraine. The city is also considered one of modern Ukraine's greatest cultural, educational and architectural centers. Historically in that role, Chernivtsi was even dubbed "Little Vienna,"[1][2] "Jerusalem upon the Prut". Chernivtsi is currently twinnedwith seven other cities around the world. The city is also a major point of railway and highway crossings in the region, and houses an international airport.

As of 2011, one of the poorest regions of Ukraine.

Geography

Chernivtsi Oblast covers an area of 8,097 km². It is the smallest oblast in Ukraine, representing 1.3% of Ukrainian territory.

In the oblast there are 75 rivers longer than 10 kilometers. The largest rivers are theDnister (290 km), Prut (128 km) and Siret (113 km).

The oblast covers three geographic zones: a forest steppe region between Prut and Dnister rivers, a foothill region between the Carpathian Mountains and Prut river, and a mountain region known as the Bukovinian part of the Carpathian Mountains.

Chernivtsi Oblast is bordered by Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast, Ternopil Oblast, Khmelnytskyi Oblast, Vinnytsia Oblast, Romania, and Moldova. Within the oblast the national border of Ukraine with Romania extends 226 km, and with Moldova 198 km

Attractions

  • Khotyn Fortress State historical-architectural preserve
  • Residency of the Metropolitan of Bukovina
  • Kozmodemyanivska church (church of Cosmas and Damian)


Culture

There are many places which attract citizens of Chernivtsi and the visitors: Drama Theatre, Regional Philharmonic Society, Organ and Chamber Music Hall, puppet-theatre, Museum of Local Lore, History and Economy, Museum of Fine Arts, Bukovynian Diaspora Museum, Museum of Folk Architecture and Way of Life, memorial museums of writers, the Central Palace of Culture.

The city of Chernivtsi has a lot of architecturally important buildings. Many historic buildings have been preserved, especially within the city's center. However, after years of disrepair and neglect, the buildings are in need of major restoration.

As Chernivsti was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, it was closely related to the empire's culture, including architecture.[citation needed] Main architectural styles present within the city includeVienna Secession and Neoclassicism, Baroque, late Gothic architecture, and fragments of traditional Moldavian and Hungarian architecture, Byzantine architecture as well as Cubism. The city is sometimes dubbed Little Vienna, because its architecture is reminiscent of the Austro-Hungarian capital Vienna.

The main architectural attractions of the city include: the Chernivtsi Drama Theater (1905); the Chernivtsi University — UNESCO World Heritage Site (1882); the Regional Museum of Fine Arts — the former savings bank (1900); the Regional Council — former Palace of Justice (1906); and the Chernivtsi Palace of Culture — former Jewish National House (1908); among many others. The magnificentMoorish Revival Czernowitz Synagogue was heavily damaged by fire in 1941, the walls were used to create the "Chernivtsi" movie theater.[citation needed]

The Czech architect Josef Hlavka designed, in 1864—1882, the buildings that currently house the Chernivtsi State University. They were originally the residence of the Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans. The Romanesque and Byzantine architecture is embellished with motifs of Ukrainian folk art; for example, the tile roof patterns duplicate the geometric designs of traditional Ukrainian embroidery.